But isn't it a bit contradictory that you change your eating habits BEFORE you go on holiday and tend to completely forget about in DURING your holiday? Of course you're on vacation, but does that mean that your efforts don't matter anymore?
How can you make your trip healthier?
1. Do your research before booking:
- Find out what type of bars/restaurants are near your hotel and which ones serve the type of food you want and need.
- If you want to scale your food, book a room with a small kitchen or an apartment
- Find out where the best and nearest grocery store is (especially if you don't get lean meat or something similar in the hotel)
- Pack healthy snacks (more here)
- Limit your alcohol intake while lying at the pool or on the beach. A juice, e.g fresh lime juice, is healthier,way more refreshing and much more thirst-quenching.
2. Be Active:
- Book a hotel with a nice fitness area and a huge sports-program or check the surroundings for a nearby gym.
- Unless you're wearing high-heels, try to walk everywhere. (except when it hot as hell outdoors,don't want your circulatory system to crash down ). Walking to the restaurant in the sunset with your beloved can be much more romantic then taking the cab, plus you get to see the city.
- Move in the plane. Long flights can be very boring and get the blood stuck... Therefor stand up at least once every hour. Stretch out a bit in the aisle and do some movements to keep the blood flowing.
3. Chill out:
- AsI said, long flights can be challenging, especially when you have a crying baby on board. Lean back and try to 'meditate' a little and try to switch off the 'world' to get rid of that inner stress.
- Bring your headphones. Listening to music makes it easier for you to chill and you don't get upset because of a crying baby or your neighbor listening to heavy metal music.
- Don't go out the day before you leave for vacation. A stressed and tired body is the worst thing on a holiday-trip.
- When you had a long flight, get some sleep once you arrived at the hotel. (or latest when your room is ready)
- I suppose that you're on the way to a 'beach'-holiday. So remember to have at least a little water bottle with you all the time to stay hydrated
- Don't forget your water intakes during your flight as well. Planes always have very low humidity which causes dehydration and dry skin.
6. Boost your immune system BEFOREHAND:
- Airports can be super crowded, the air quality is terrible and filled with bacteria and viruses. Therefor, a hand sanitizer is an absolute must-have before and after hoping on and off the plane.
- Don't forget the basic medications (syrups, nasal spray, anti-diarreh etc)